Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Vaali Ambat/ Basale Soppu Curry/ Malabar Spinach Curry


I have previously shared Vaali Ani Sungat Randhyi that uses Malabar Spinach and Shrimp as the main ingredients. This is another Konkani delicacy that's very common to most households. Many have the vine growing in their backyard, so that whenever they want they can just go over and bring in the fresh produce and use it. I can never make up my mind if I like the vegetarian or non-veg version better. Try both and let me know your view. :o)

Prep Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 30 min | Serves : 6

Recipe Courtesy: My Aayi
Ingredients:
Vaali/ Basale Soppu/ Malabar Spinach - 1 bunch (About 4 Cups)
Split Red Gram/ Tuvar Dal - 1/2 Cup
Onion - 1 medium size
Tomato - 1 medium size
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp.
Salt - 2 tsp.

For grinding Masala:
Grated Coconut - 2 Cups
Red Chili - 4
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp.
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
Garlic - 2 pods


Method of preparation:

~ Wash Dal, add a cup of water along with chopped Onion and Tomato. Add turmeric powder and pressure cook for three whistles.
~ While the pressure cooker is cooling down, prepare the masala. Grind everything under the grinding masala list to a fine paste while adding a cup of water in intervals.
~ Wash Vaali thoroughly with water. Chop them coarsely.
~ In a wide, heavy bottomed pan cook the greens first.
~ Once it starts to wilt and change to darker green color, add the ground masala.
~ Let the mixture bring to a boil.
~ Mash the contents in the pressure cooker and add it to the pan. Add enough water as required.
~ Add salt to taste and mix them all together. Bring the curry to a boil and switch off the heat.
~ Serve it hot with plain white rice.

9 comments:

  1. Delicious I miss malabar spinach here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. comfortable curry with hot steamed rice....

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious, so what is difference between regular spinach and Malabar spinach? where do u get it here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malabar Spinach is not Spinach. It's thicker, fleshier kind if you have to bite into it when fresh. I can eat baby spinach in salad, but not so much with Malabar spinach. You can find it in Indian stores here. Look closer to the greens section. I have been seeing it every week at Patidar here. And also if you have a chinese/ Asian store, they have it. It's called Chan Choy. Hope you can find it. :o)

      Delete
  4. looks so delicious. don't know if I can find Malabar spinach here though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow so yumm.... Even I am not aware of Malabar Spinach.. Let me hunt it down next time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a new spinach variety to me... Dhal looks so comforting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting - I had no idea about this variety of spinach. Would love to try this recipe if I can lay my hands on some....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...