Thursday, November 14, 2013

Karathe Kismuri/ Hagalkaayi Kosumbari/ Bitter Gourd Relish



Karathe or Bitter Gourd is extremely bitter if you try to eat it as is. It is considered to be very good for diabetic patients. And today happens to be World Diabetics Day! When I was looking to see if there were any scientific proof about bitter gourd reducing the blood glucose levels, I stumbled across this link. Didn't know there was a website dedicated to bitter gourd.

My mom would make variety of dishes using karathe and this is one of the relish that she would make. Being part of Konkani group reminding me all these dishes that my mom would serve us. Me and my hubby loved karathe since childhood and I see the same trend in my son. He just loves any variations of bitter gourd. You can adjust the jaggery as per your taste. If you can handle the bitterness then more power to you and less to jaggery. :o)



Prep Time: 20 min | Cooking Time: 10 min| Serves: 4

Ingredients:

Bitter Gourd - 2 medium
Oil - 1 tbsp.
Jaggery - 1 tbsp.
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp.
Chili Powder - 1 tsp.
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp.
Onion - 1 small finely chopped.
Coriander Leaves - half a handful
Salt to taste

Method of Preparation:

~ Wash and scrape off bitter gourd skin. Cut it lengthwise and de-seed. Chop them in small pieces, add salt and leave it for few minutes.
~ Heat oil in a pan, squeeze the bitter gourd a little to take out the moisture and add it to the hot pan.
~ Shallow fry until they are almost done. This needs patience since you have to keep it on medium heat and keep frying. Now add haldi/ turmeric powder and jaggery. Give it a nice mix and take it out of heat. Allow to cool for few minutes
~ In a bowl add onion, chili powder, coriander powder and little salt. Nicely mix them together. It turns out good when you squeeze everything together and mix with hand (yeah, I said it.. magic of hand mixing)
~ Add in freshly grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and fried bitter gourd pieces. Mix it all up and serve on the side with Plain Rice and Daali Thoy.



You may be also interested in Bitter Gourd Subzi

Sending this dish to Nandoo's event Dish it out - Coconut & Salt

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sumee for this recipe and will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats an interesting recipe and looks delicious dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with bitter gourd being an excellent remedy for diabetes. I cook it quite often for my other half, and that to keep his sugar level in control. I shall try your lovely version for the next round of bitter gourd.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...